Educate‎ > ‎Health‎ > ‎

Toxic to Dogs

Household Hazards: Puppy-proofing a Home



Foods Toxic to Dogs
    Onions: Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate, but onions are a greater danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic.  Because garlic contains less of this toxin, huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. This poison builds up the system;  it can be toxic in one large dose  or with repeated consumption of small amounts.
    Chocolate: Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.
    Grapes & Raisins: Grapes are dangerous because of a substance which affects canines' kidneys
    Most Fruit Pits and Seeds: These seeds contain Cyanogenic Glycosides that result in cyanide poisoning, but  the fruit itself is OK. (e.g. apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits).
    Macadamia Nuts: These contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs
    Bones: Most cooked bones should *not* be given to dogs (especially chicken bones) because they can splinter and cause laceration of the digestive system and/or become lodged in your pet’s throat. 
    Potato Peelings, Green parts of Tomatoes or Green Potatoes:  All contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
    Broccoli: Broccoli is only toxic in large quantities.
    Yeast Dough: Yeast Dough can produce gas and swell in your pet’s stomach and may lead to rupture of the digestive system.
    Beer/Wine/Liquor/ Alcohol: Alcohol of any kind may lead to coma or even death.
    Human Vitamins: Vitamins intended for humans, especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system as well as cause kidney and liver damage.
    Persimmons: Persimmons can cause intestinal blockage.
    Raw Eggs and Raw Fish : Raw eggs and fish can cause Salmonella poisoning.
    Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder: In large amounts these can cause an electrolyte imbalance.  Severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.
    Mushrooms: Mushrooms may contain toxins which could cause liver and kidney damage.
    Sugar-Free Foods: Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol have been found to cause liver failure dogs.
    Nutmeg: Nutmeg may cause tremors, seizures, and central nervous system damage.
    Avocado: All parts of the avocado fruit and tree are toxic to dogs.
    Mustard Seeds 
    Tea (Caffeinated Blends)
    Walnuts

***There may be other foods that your dog should not consume; always ask your vet if you are unsure***




Plants Toxic to Dogs
    Lilies: Poisonous component has not yet been identified, but even ingestion of very small amounts can cause severe kidney damage. 
    Marijuana: Ingestion can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
    Sago Palm: All parts are poisonous, but the seeds contain the largest amount of toxin. Ingestion of one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, including vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.
    Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs: Contain toxins that cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
    Azalea/Rhododendron: Contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.

    Oleander: Contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

    Castor Bean: Poisonous compound is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.

    Cyclamen: Contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

    Kalanchoe: Contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.

    Yew: Contains toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

    Amaryllis: Popular around Easter; contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.

    Autumn Crocus: Ingestion can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.

    Chrysanthemum: Contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.

    English Ivy (branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy & California ivy): Contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.

    Peace Lily: Contains calcium oxalate crystals that cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

    Pothos: Ingestion causes significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
    Schefflera: Contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest. 
Ċ
Jessica Skopac,
Aug 31, 2012, 12:54 PM
Comments